Do you want to know the Pioneer AVH 210EX Review? This guide will provide you with the same information along with the other additional features. So just relax and read on and don’t miss anything.
- Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth, Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), Serial Port Profile (SSP), and Dual Phone Connection.
- 5 Display Colors With 112 Key Colors. Android and iPhone Compatibility
- Expandability: Single, Rear UBS Input, Rear AUX Input, Back-up Camera Input, Wired Remote Input, Composite Video Output, 1-3. 5mm (Audio/Video) Mini Jack AV Cable, and USB Direct Control for iPod/iPhone.
- Digital Media Playback: CD/CD-R/CD-RW Playback, DVD/CD/USB MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV Audio Playback, and DVD/DVD-R/DVD-RW MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG-4/AVI/DIVX/WMV/JPEG Video Playback
Pioneer has introduced their new multimedia receiver AVH 210EX with the support of Apple CarPlay.
The receiver is designed to have a 7-inch WVGA touchscreen with 800 x 480 pixels resolution. It supports DVD, CD, USB, and SD card formats for media playback. The front panel is provided with three 3.5 mm A/V input jacks including two RCA jacks for line-level in addition to one direct video in car wire harness so that you can connect an external rearview camera or game console if desired. As per our Pioneer DDX470 Review, pressing the “mode” button activates the 6-channel external amplifier which is good for 6 speakers at ohms each (24 watts RMS per channel).
The new receiver AVH 210EX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth technology which can be used to stream audio from compatible devices. The receiver also has an MHL screen mirroring function that allows you to connect your smartphone with an HDMI interface via Pioneer’s special adapter cable. The main feature of the receiver, that is Apple CarPlay compatibility, enables iPhone users to have full access to Apple Maps, Siri, and all apps on their phone for easy, safe use while driving. Moreover, if you lost your phone connection for any reason, the DVD system will automatically switch over to radio mode so you won’t miss anything important during your trips.
The AVH 210EX comes ready for steering wheel control so you simply connect it to your vehicle using the correct interface and you are done. The receiver is compatible with Android Auto so users of other brands can also enjoy this system. Although AVH 210EX has some really impressive features, it is a little on the pricey side but if you have a big budget and want a nice multimedia receiver for your car, then Pioneer AVH 210EX is worth considering.
Pioneer AVH 210EX Review 2021
Design and Appearance
The Pioneer AVH 210EX looks really classy with an all-black casing and beveled buttons so you won’t have any problem operating it even at night. If you are not satisfied with its default 7-inch screen size, don’t worry since there is an HDMI port available on the rear of the unit which enables you to connect another monitor if desired. When using Apple CarPlay, Siri’s voice recognition function will be activated automatically and the sound quality is great as compared to other receivers in this price range.
- Apple CarPlay compatibility: The main feature is that it supports the Apple car play system which allows users to use their iPhone for navigation and getting directions and also listen to their favorite music on iPhone.
- Built-in Bluetooth: Pioneer AVH 210EX supports the most popular Bluetooth protocol which is used for making hands-free calls and streaming your favorite songs from your compatible devices like smartphones, tablets, etc.
- HDMI video input capability: The AVH 210EX has an HDMI In port so you can connect it with other monitors but the main monitor should have an HD resolution of at least 720p or 1080p.
- Steering Wheel Control Ready: After connecting the applicable interface cable, users will be able to control many functions of their car stereo system using their car’s steering wheel controls.
- Touchscreen display: It offers a 7-inch WVGA touchscreen with a resolution of 800 x 480 pixels.
- CD/CD-R/CD-RW compatible: Just insert your favorite CD with music tracks and you are ready to go. Also, the receiver is CD text compatible so it will display artist, track name, and disc title on playback information for CDs encoded with these features.
- SD card slot: The Pioneer AVH 210EX supports SD cards (up to 2 GB) to keep all your favorite music tracks in order to enjoy them while driving.
- USB port: USB Port also comes in handy for playing back digital audio files like AAC, MP3, WMA, etc from various storage devices like thumb drives or portable hard disk drives which can be connected by using an appropriate cable.
- Video playback: The unit supports AVI, WMV, JPEG, and MP4 formats.
- Video file output: It has a composite video out port that allows you to connect it with other compatible devices through the available extension cable.
- AM/FM tuner: The receiver features a 40-station preset memory for storing all your favorite radio stations wherever you go.
- Audio playback: AVH 210EX has a built-in amplifier that delivers 4 x 50 W max power while the maximum current is up to 1400 mA. Also, there are preamp outputs included in the package so you can add an amplifier later if needed.
- Additional info: Apart from the above-mentioned features, this receiver also supports many other functions TuneIt app (for iPhone or Android), Pandora, Aha Radio app, etc. Also, you can easily play songs directly from your iPod or iPhone without using the USB port.
Performance and Sound Quality
To experience the best sound quality and clarity, we recommend that you use a high-speed HDMI cable to connect with other compatible devices like smartphones and tablets. After connecting the receiver with the Apple CarPlay system, it will automatically activate Siri’s voice recognition function which is fine but can be irritating sometimes when driving since users cannot operate the unit while speaking to Siri. Although this feature works fine for most functions provided by Apple Carplay such as making calls, sending messages etc but it often fails for playing music tracks through Apple CarPlay via iTunes playlist.
Another downside of this unit is that it does not feature the advanced Pioneer ARC (Advanced Remote Control) technology like other models in this price range such as AVH-X8750BT and AVH-210BT. So you will be able to use your iPhone for controlling most playback features while leaving the car or taking a seat inside and using Siri voice commands.
To get the maximum benefit from its various functions like video playback and playing songs directly from your iPod/iPhone, we recommend you buy an appropriate HDMI cable along with the receiver. Also, if you want to add an extra amplifier then we suggest you go for professional installation since it will take a lot of time which can cause many inconveniences when driving. In addition to the above, we also noticed a little distortion in the sound quality when inserting a USB drive with an MP3 file to it.
Overall, this model is a decent option under $200 worth buying because of its cost-saving design and just enough features that you will need for using it as a car backup camera. Also, I would not say that it has bad sound quality but definitely, if you want to experience better clarity then go for higher models such as AVH-X8750BT or AVH-210BT.
- Supported Media/Formats: DVD, CD, USB Flash Memory, SD Card
- Supported Audio Formats: MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV/FLAC/Apple Lossless (Firmware update required)
- Video Features: MHL screen mirroring capability with HDMI adapter cable (sold separately), CarPlay compatible, Android Auto capable for other brands too.
- Connectivity: Bluetooth Technology and Built-In Wi-Fi and AppRadio Mode Compatibility (via firmware update)
- Audio Section: Peak Power Output 50 watts x 4 channels; RMS Power Output 22 watts x 4 channels at 4 oh.
Features at a Glance
- Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming
- Apple Car Play Compatible (for iPhone users)
- MHL screen mirroring function via special adapter cable
- 6 x 45 watts MOSFET power amplifier
- DVD/CD player with MP3, WMA, and AAC playback
- USB input for a flash drive, iPod, and iPhone connectivity
- Built-in HD Radio tuner
- Advanced Sound Retriever for improved sound quality from compressed audio files
- Rearview camera-ready (requires special harness)
- Works with steering wheel control (interface required)
- App Radio Mode compatible (via firmware update)
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes-Free Compatibility (for compatible iPhones)
- Android Auto capability for other brands too.
Pros & Cons
- Clear and large touchscreen display, excellent for maps and music playback.
- Built-in Bluetooth technology for hands-free calling and wireless audio streaming.
- Supports multiple file formats: DVD, CD, USB Flash Memory, SD Card.
- Expensive – no GPS integration (requires separate 3rd party navigation app)
- No Android Auto compatibility (requires separate 3rd party Android app)
- Inadequate radio reception in areas with the poor radio signal. Notes: – the 6 x 45 watts MOSFET power amplifier actually works for 6 speakers at ohms each (24 watts RMS per channel).
FAQ’s – Pioneer AVH 210EX Review
I am intrigued by this model because it has a CD player but no GPS integration. Does that mean I have to install my own navigation software separately?
Yes, you have to purchase a separate 3rd party navigation app and install it on the head unit via USB disk or SD card.
Can I connect an XM radio receiver to this unit so as to listen to it through the car speakers?
It does not support connecting an external satellite radio tuner, however, you can buy a new Pioneer satellite-ready head unit of a similar price range for having both built-in Bluetooth and XM/Sirius capability at once.
Can I connect an external amplifier to this unit for better sound quality?
Yes, you can wire up an external amplified crossover in the head unit’s pre-outs if you want to push more power when powering 4 speakers (such as 2 ohm per channel) with the built-in 45 watts x 4 MOSFET amplifier.
Pioneer AVH 210EX is a decent entry-level multimedia car stereo that feels a bit expensive because of its low price. However, it has got all the essential features that one would need in a basic multimedia system for their vehicles and yet misses some advanced features such as GPS integration and Android Auto capability found in other models in this price range.
If you are interested in buying this model, it would be recommended to go for a higher-end AVH-X series model with built-in satellite radio capability and better audio quality than the more basic AVH 210EX. The Pioneer AVH 210EX multimedia car stereo can be found on the Amazon marketplace with an average online price of around $300.
If you have any questions or would like to drop a note, feel free to comment below.